|Early Registration||February, 28, 2020|
|Hotel Reservation||February, 28, 2020|
|Abstract Submission Deadline||February, 24, 2020|
|Notification of Abstract Acceptance||February, 28, 2020|
|Congress||October, 16-18, 2020|
Palazzo San Giorgio is one of the most important and well-known historic buildings in Genoa. It currently houses the headquarters of the Port System Authority of the Western Ligurian Sea.
The building, included in the Molo district, consists of two distinct parts: an older part, a typical example of medieval civil architecture, with the facade facing the portico of Sottoripa, and a Renaissance, facing the sea, in which the main entrance portal opens, facing the Via della Mercanzia, the short street that connects Piazza Caricamento and Piazza Cavour in front of the Porto Antico.
The palace was built between 1257 and 1260, commissioned by the Captain of the People Guglielmo Boccanegra who intended to build his own seat for civil power, very distinct from that of religious power, installed at the Cathedral of San Lorenzo.
The design of the new public building was entrusted to Friar Oliverio, a Cistercian monk who, thanks to his technical knowledge, had already planned the extension of the Old Pier to the sea. According to legend, in the second half of the 13th century the palace also housed the prisons where Marco Polo was imprisoned.
From 1340 the palace became the seat of magistrates for the control of port traffic and the customs and offices of the so-called Compere were installed, bodies responsible for managing cash loans made by citizens to the Municipality. In 1407 all the Compere were united under a single management: the Casa delle Compere and the Banco di San Giorgio was born, one of the first banking institutions born in the Italy of the Municipalities. In 1451 the entire building passed to the administration of S. Giorgio, taking its name.The Palace was destined in 1903 to the newly established Port Authority, then called the Autonomous Consortium of the Port of Genoa.
Arriving from the north and west, take the Genova Ovest motorway exit, continue on the elevated road “Sopraelevata”, and take the first exit, “Centro città - Piazza Cavour”. Arriving from the east, take the Genova Est motorway exit, continue in the direction of the Brignole railway station, and turn towards the Aquarium. Use the paid parking spaces bordering on the old Harbour and the Aquarium.
The Palazzo is located in the city’s centre, and can be easily reached from the railway stations of Genova Porta Principe (underground, San Giorgio stop) and Genova Brignole (AMT buses, lines 12 and 13).
Cristoforo Colombo airport is about 13 km from Palazzo San Giorgio. A shuttle bus service (line 100, "Volabus") links the airport to the Genova Porta Principe railway station, from which Palazzo San Giorgio can be reached by underground (San Giorgio stop).